North Carolina Vehicle Title Search : Top 6 Providers
If you are interested in acquiring/purchasing a used vehicle in North Carolina and would like to obtain a vehicle history via a vehicle title search, keep reading.
The National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, or NMVTIS, is overseen by the U.S. Department of Justice and was created to:
1. Prevent the introduction of stolen motor vehicles into the market,
2. Protect states and consumers from fraud;
3. Reduce the use of stolen vehicles for illicit purposes, and
4. Provide consumers protection from unsafe vehicles.
NMVTIS can provide history reports that provide these records (through a title search):
- Title Info
- Brand History (Junk, Salvage, Parts, Etc.)
- Odometer Date
- History of Theft
- Total Loss Data
- Salvage Records
To do a title search via NMVTIS to find important vehicle condition and history information, you’ll need to use an approved provider which will be listed below. Please note: Consumers CANNOT receive NMVTIS Vehicle History Reports from DMVDesk, Carfax, CVR, Experian, or TitleTec; these five companies provide this information only to automobile dealerships.
Top 6 Approved Vehicle Title Search Providers in N.C.:
• Buy Two Reports, Get One Free
• Costs $6.99 per Vin.
• Salvage & VIN Check Report Costs only $2.99
• Available as an app on Apple and Android Devices
• no hidden fees
• Specializes in Trucks/ Semi’s
• $34.99 – Single Report
• $49.99 – Three Reports
• Includes “Rachel” and a funny video on the homepage!
• Purchase titlecheck.us title search reports with credit card, debit card or through PayPal.
• Costs $4.95 per vin
• Costs $9.99 per vin
• 5 Reports cost $19.99, 10 Reports cost $29.99
• Car Title Search, Free Preview of History Report
• Available as an App for Apple/Android/Amazon Smart Devices
• Costs $12.95 for a single report
• 2-5 Reports: $8.95/each, 6-10 Reports: $7.95/each, 11+ Reports: $5.95/each
BONUS: North Carolina State Highway Patrol Towed and Stored Vehicle Search
If you are looking for a vehicle that has been towed and/or stored you can look this up using the North Carolina Department of Public Safety’s website. You can search by:
1. Owner’s Last name
2. License Tag or
3. Vehicle Vin Number.
Information in this title search includes vehicles towed and/or stored by a tow company at the request of the NC State Highway Patrol over the last 60 days.